Access North Center for Independent Living of Northeastern Minnesota
Advocacy - Disabilities
Access North - Hibbing Office
1309 E 40th St, Hibbing, MN, 55746
Distance: 1061 Miles
Program that works on behalf of individuals and/or groups to make sure that they receive the benefits and services for which they are eligible
* Individual consumer advocacy - staff work with you to understand your rights and obtain the support services you need to live independently
* Community advocacy - staff, board members, and volunteers initiating activities to make changes in the community that make it easier for all persons with disabilities to live more independently
Area Served by County
- Aitkin County
- Carlton County
- Cass County
- Cook County
- Crow Wing County
- Itasca County
- Koochiching County
- Lake County
- Pine County
- St. Louis County
- Assistance with community resources
- Benefits assistance
- Free / no cost to eligible clients
Aitkin, Carlton, Cass, Cook, Crow Wing, Itasca, Koochiching, Lake, Pine and St. Louis counties
Other Services or resources
- Adult Companion Services
- Assistive Technology
- Assistive Technology Demonstration and Loan Program
- Consumer Directed Community Supports (CDCS) Support Planner
- Environmental Accessibility Adaptations (EAA) Home Assessment
- Home Accessibility Modification
- Home Management Registration
- Homemaker Services
- Individual Community Living Supports (ICLS)
- Individualized Home Supports (IHS) with Family Training
- Individualized Home Supports (IHS) with Training
- Individualized Home Supports (IHS) without Training
- Job Search Assistance
- Medical Equipment and Supplies
- Nursing Home Relocation Services
- Personal Care Assistant (PCA)
- Personal Care Assistant (PCA) Choice
- School to Adult Life Transition
- Semi-Independent Living Services (SILS)
- Specialized Equipment and Supplies
- Transitional Services
- Veteran Benefits Assistance
Taxonomy Terms Used: Clicking a taxonomy term from the list below launches a new search.
FP-0500.3300Individual Advocacy Definition
Programs that intercede on behalf of individuals to help them establish eligibility for or obtain needed services when they have been denied benefits or services for which they are eligible, when they need assistance to communicate their needs to a service provider or to otherwise effectively represent themselves, or when they have a complaint about a service. Individual advocacy attempts to reach equitable settlements without resorting to litigation and seeks to meet individual needs without attempting to change social institutions.
FT-1800Discrimination Assistance Definition
Programs that provide assistance for people who believe that they have been treated unfairly or denied normal privileges based on their age, gender, race or ethnic origin, nationality, religion, disability, sexual orientation or marital status.
LR-1550Centers for Independent Living Definition
Consumer controlled, community based, cross disability, nonresidential agencies designed and operated within a local community by individuals with disabilities that provide an array of independent living services. All CILs provide five core services: information and referral, independent living skills training, peer counseling, individual and systems advocacy and transition. In addition, many CILs also offer transportation services, mobility training, personal assistance, housing and home modifications, recreation services, vocational programs, assistance in obtaining assistive technology equipment and other individualized services designed to increase and maintain independence.
TD-1600.3100-180Disability Rights Groups Definition
Organizations that support the passage and enforcement of laws or other social measures that protect the rights of people who have physical, mental, developmental or learning disabilities and maximize their ability to enjoy the same opportunities, resources and privileges as the mainstream population.
YJ-8750People With Disabilities/Health Conditions Definition
Individuals who have physical, sensory, developmental, cognitive, mental or emotional limitations, illnesses or injuries that affect their ability to engage in one or more major life activities. Disabilities and health conditions may be temporary or permanent, may be present at birth or occur at any point in a person's lifetime, and can be of different levels of severity.
YQ-1500Consumer Directed Organizational Perspective Definition
Organizations and individual practitioners who offer maximum choice and control (including the ability to select, manage and dismiss their workers) to people who use services or other supports to help with daily activities.
YZ-1500Civil Rights Issues Definition
Programs that provide information and/or services that deal with the topic of civil rights.
YZ-1700Disabilities Issues Definition
Programs that provide information and/or services that deal with the topic of disabilities.